■ 자료실 유익한 정보와 서식, 논문등을 제공해드립니다.
각종 유익한 정보와 서식, 논문등을 업데이트 해드리겠습니다.
Hyperbaric oxygen and malignancies: a potential role in radiotherapy, chemotherapy, tumor surgery and phototherapy.
고압산소와 악성종양: 방사선요법, 화학요법, 종양 수술과 광선요법에서 잠재적 역할
Med Sci Monit. 2005 Sep;11(9):RA279-89. Epub 2005 Aug 26. Al-Waili NS1, Butler GJ, Beale J, Hamilton RW, Lee BY, Lucas P.
지난 40년 이상, 고압산소(HBO2) 요법은 다양한 질병에 추천되거나 사용되어져 왔다. 1950년대에 고압산소요법은 최초로 방사선 요법은 물론이고 두경부 암과 자궁경부암을 위한 치료로서 사용되어졌다.
Over the past 40 years, hyperbaric oxygen (HBO2) therapy has been recommended and used in a wide variety of medical conditions. In the 1950s, HBO2 was first used as a treatment, in addition to radiation, for head and neck cancers and cervical cancer.
많은 연구들이 암관리(cancer management)의 부분으로서 고압산소요법의 가능한 치료적 효과(therapeutic effects)를 연구하려고 진행되어져 왔다. 근거들은 고압산소요법이 종양 산소포화(tumor oxygenation)를 향상시켰다고 보여주었고, 방사선치료 동안 고압산소를 이용한 치료는 많은 고형 종양의 방사선 반응(radiation response)을 향상시키는 것을 보여주어 왔다.
그것은 지연된 방사선치료 손상과 연부조직과 골 손상, 방광과 장의 증후성 방사선 반응, 후두의 방사선괴사, 방사선치료로 유발된 시각 신경병증, 방사선치료로 유발된 직장염과 방사선치료로 유발된 뇌의 괴사를 위하여 사용되어졌다.
Many studies have been conducted to investigate possible therapeutic effects HBO2 as part of cancer management. Evidences showed that HBO2 improved tumor oxygenation, and treatment with HBO2 during irradiation has been shown to improve the radiation response of many solid tumors. It was used for delayed radiation injuries for soft tissue and bony injuries, for symptomatic radiation reactions of the urinary bladder and the bowel, for laryngeal radionecrosis, for radiation-induced optic neuropathy, for radiation-induced proctitis and for radiation-induced necrosis of the brain.
고압산소요법은 또한 항암화학요법의 민감도(sensitivity)를 증가시킨다.
고산화(hyperoxygenation) 동안 광역동 치료(photodynamic therapy: PDT)가 가해졌을 때 종양 반응에서 중요한 향상이 얻어졌다. 이러한 연구들은 널리 검토되었고 더 나아간 조사들을 위해 이성적인 과학적 기초가 토론되어졌다. 일차성과 이차성 암종을 극복하기 위한 광역동 치료(PDT)와 광감작제(photosensitizer)를 고압산소요법(HBO2)과 결합시키는 것의 가능성은 광범위한 실험과 임상 조사 작업을 받을 만하다.
HBO2 also increases sensitivity to chemotherapy. A significant improvement in tumor response was obtained when photodynamic therapy (PDT) was delivered during hyperoxygenation. These studies were extensively reviewed and rational scientific basis for further investigations was discussed. The possibility of combining HBO2, PDT and photosensitizers to overcome primary and secondary carcinoma deserve extensive laboratory and clinical research works.
고압산소요법은 심지어 활동성 암 환자를 위해서도 사용금지사유(contraindication)가 거의 없이 비교적 무해하다.
HBO2 is a relatively benign with few contraindications, even for active cancer patients.
1. Neumeister M: Hyperbaric oxyen therapy. http://www.emedicine.com / plastic/topic526.htm#target5, 2004
2. AL-Waili N, Butler G, Beale J et al: Hyperbaric oxygen stroke and neuronal diseases. Advance Ther, 2005; (accepted)
3. AL-Waili N: Disease’s triangle. ALSaha Wltab, 2002, 180, 22.25
4. Al-Waili N: Medicine of Balance and Diseases triangle: New concept and nomenclatures. FASEB Journal, 2003; 17: 1236
5. Kalns J, Krock L, Piepmeier E Jr: The effect of hyperbaric oxygen on growth and chemosensitivity of metastatic prostate cancer.
Anticancer Res, 1998; 18: 363.67
6. AL-Waili N: Indomethacin in basal cell carcinoma. J Pak Med Assoc, 1989; 39: 134.36
7. AL-Waili N, AL-Azzawi H: Effect of prostaglandin E2 on serum iron after acute and chronic blood loss. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol,
1985; 12: 443.46
8. Al-Waili N, Al-Azzawi H, Al-Rawi Z: Treatment of advanced chorionic carcinoma by indomethacin and steroids. Saudi Med J, 1984; 5: 81
9. AL-Waili N, Al-Azzawi H, Al-Niami M: Bone marrow cellular elements and peripheral blood indices following acute hemorrhage and
prostaglandin E2 treatment. Saudi Med J, 1983; 4: 236.43
10. Al-Azzawi H, Al-Waili N: Haemopoietic changes following chronic blood loss and PGE2 treatment. First Scientific Congress, College of Medicine, University of Baghdad, 1984; 109
11. Knisely J, Rockwell S, Knisely J: The importance of hypoxia in the brain tumor. Neuroimaging Clin N Amer, 2002; 12: S25.S35
12. Overgaard J: Sensitization of hypoxic tumour cells . clinical experience. Int J Radiat Biol, 1989; 56: 801.11
13. Phillips T, Wasserman T: Promise of radiosensitizers and radioprotectors in the treatment of human cancer Cancer Treat Rep, 1984; 68: 291.302
14. Hirst D: Oxygen delivery to tumors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 1986; 12: 1271.77
15. Lee D, Moini M, Giuliano J, Westra W: Hypoxic sensitizer and cytotoxin for head and neck cancer. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1996; 25:
16. Koukourakis I, Giatromanolaki A, Sivridis E, Fezoulidis I: Cancer vascularization: implications in radiotherapy? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys,
2000; 48: 545.53
17. Kumar P: Impact of anemia in patients with head and neck cancer. Oncologist, 2000; 5(Suppl.2): 13.18
18. Brizel D, Lin S, Johnson J et al: The mechanisms by which hyperbaric oxygen and carbogen improve tumour oxygenation. Br J Cancer, 1995; 72: 1120.24
19. Martin D, Porter E, Rockwell S, Fischer J: Enhancement of tumor radiation response by the combination of a perfluorochemical emulsion and hyperbaric oxygen. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 1987; 13: 747.51
20. Nikolaeva E, Stepanenko E, Chubukhchiev G: The effect of hyperbaric oxygenation on the indices of lipid peroxidation in the blood of patients with lung cancer. Anesteziol Reanimatol, 1991; 23: 67.69
21. Kumar P: Tumor hypoxia and anemia: impact on the efficacy of radiation therapy. Semin Hematol, 2000; 37(4 Suppl.6): 4.8
22. Knight K, Wade S, Balducci L: Prevalence and outcomes of anemia in cancer: a systematic review of the literature. Am J Med, 2004; 116(Suppl.7A): 11S.26S
23. Beppu T, Kamada K, Nakamura R et al: A phase II study of radiotherapy after hyperbaric oxygenation combined with interferon-beta and nimustine hydrochloride to treat supratentorial malignant gliomas. J Neurooncol, 2003; 61: 161.70
24. McCormack M, Nias A, Smith E: Chronic anaemia, hyperbaric oxygen and tumour radiosensitivity. Br J Radiol, 1990; 63: 752.59
25. Rojas A, Stewart F, Smith K et al: Effect of anemia on tumor radiosensitivity under normo and hyperbaric conditions. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 1987; 13: 1681.89
26. Feldmeier J, Carl U, Hartmann K, Sminia P: Hyperbaric oxygen: does it promote growth or recurrence of malignancy? Undersea Hyperbar Med, 2003; 30: 1.18
27. Sun TB, Chen RL, Hsu YH: The effect of hyperbaric oxygen on human oral cancer cells. Undersea Hyperb Med, 2004; 31: 251.60
28 Chong KT, Hampson NB, Bostwick DG et al: Hyperbaric oxygen does not accelerate latent in vivo prostate cancer: implications for the treatment of radiation-induced haemorrhagic cystitis. BJU Int, 2004; 94(9): 1275.78
29. McMillan T, Calhoun K, Mader J et al: The effect of hyperbaric oxygen therapy of oral mucosal carcinoma. Laryngoscope, 1989; 99: 241.44
30. McDonald K, Bradfield J, Kinsella J et al: Effect of hyperbaric oxygenation on existing oral mucosal carcinoma. Laryngoscope, 1996; 106: 957.59
31. Lian Q, Hang R, Yan HF et al: Effects of hyperbaric oxygen on S-180 sarcoma in mice. Undersea Hyperb Med, 1995; 22: 153.60
32. Reedy M, Capen C, Baker D et al: Hyperbaric oxygen therapy following radical vulvectomy: an adjunctive therapy to improve wound healing. Gynecol Oncol, 1994; 53: 13.16
33. Carl U, Feldmeier J, Schmitt G, Hartmann K: Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for late sequelae in women receiving radiation after breast-conserving surgery. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 2001; 49: 1029.31
34. Vol’pian L, Aliaev IuG, Iushkov M: Results of surgical treatment of cancer of the kidney with high surgical risk under hyperbaric oxygenation. Sov Med, 1991; 3: 27.29
35. Brizel D, Hage W, Dodge R et al: Hyperbaric oxygen improves tumor radiation response significantly more than carbogen/nicotinamide. Radiat Res, 1997; 147: 715.20
36. Alagoz T, Buller R, Anderson B et al: Evaluation of hyperbaric oxygen as a chemosensitizer in the treatment of epithelial ovarian cancer in xenografts in mice. Cancer, 1995; 75: 2313.22
37. Takiguchi N, Saito N, Nunomura M et al: Use of 5-FU plus hyperbaric oxygen for treating malignant tumors: evaluation of antitumor effect and measurement of 5-FU in individual organs. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 2001; 47: 11.14
38. Petre P, Baciewicz F Jr, Tigan S, Spears J: Hyperbaric oxygen as a chemotherapy adjuvant in the treatment of metastatic lung tumors in a rat model. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 2003; 125: 85.95; discussion 95
39. Kalns J, Krock L, Piepmeier E: The effect of hyperbaric oxygen on growth and chemosensitivity of metastatic prostate cancer. Anticancer Res, 1998; 18: 363.67
40. Wheeler R, Dirks J, Lunardi I, Nemiroff M: Effect of hyperbaric oxygen on the cytotoxicity of adriamycin and nitrogen mustard in cultured Burkitt's lymphoma cells. Cancer Res, 1979; 39: 370.75
41. Feldmeier J, Hampson N: A systematic review of the literature reporting the application of hyperbaric oxygen prevention and treatment of delayed radiation injuries: an evidence based approach. Undersea Hyperb Med, 2002; 29: 4.30
42. Feldmeier J, Heimbach R, Davolt D et al: Hyperbaric oxygen an adjunctive treatment for delayed radiation injuries of the abdomen and pelvis. Undersea Hyperb Med, 1996; 23: 205.13
43. Steckeler S, Botel U, Warninghoff V: Hyperbaric oxygen therapy. an adjuvant therapeutic procedure with problem cases in reconstructive bone surgery. Fortschr Kiefer Gesichtschir, 1994; 39: 164.67
44. Kunugita N, Kohshi K, Kinoshita Y et al: Radiotherapy after hyperbaric oxygenation improves radioresponse in experimental tumor models. Cancer Lett, 2001; 164: 149.54
45. Rockwell S, Kelley M, Irvin C et al: Preclinical evaluation of oxygent as an adjunct to radiotherapy. Biomater Artif Cells Immobilization Biotechnol, 1992; 20; 883.93
46. Dische S: Hyperbaric oxygen: the Medical Research Council trials and their clinical significance. Br J Radiol, 1978; 51: 888.94
47. Watson E, Halnan K, Dische S et al: Hyperbaric oxygen and radiotherapy: a Medical Research Council trial in carcinoma of the cervix. Br J Radiol, 1978; 51: 879.87
48. The M.R.C. Working Party: Radiotherapy and hyperbaric oxygen. Report of a Medical Research Council Working Party. Lancet, 1978; 2; 881.84
49. Hoskin P, Saunders M, Dische S: Hypoxic radiosensitizers in radical radiotherapy for patients with bladder carcinoma: hyperbaric oxygen, misonidazole, and accelerated radiotherapy, carbogen, and nicotinamide Cancer, 1999; 86: 1322.28
50. Nias A, Perry P, Photiou A: Modulating the oxygen tension in tumours by hypothermia and hyperbaric oxygen. J R Soc Med, 1988; 81: 633.36
51. Milas L, Hunter NM, Ito H et al: Increase in radiosensitivity of lung micrometastases
by hyperbaric oxygen. Clin Exp Metastasis, 1985; 3: 21.27
52. Johnston M, Robertson G, Frizelle F: Management of late complications of pelvic radiation in the rectum and anus: a review. Dis Colon Rectum, 2003; 46: 247.59
53. Mayer R, Klemen H, Quehenberger F et al: Hyperbaric oxygen . an effective tool to treat radiation morbidity in prostate cancer. Radiother Oncol, 2001; 61: 151.56
54. Dische S: What have we learnt from hyperbaric oxygen? Radiother Oncol, 1991; 20(Suppl.1):71.74
55. Woo T, Joseph D, Oxer H: Hyperbaric oxygen treatment for radiation proctitis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 1997; 38: 619.22
56. Charneau J, Bouachour G, Person B et al: Severe hemorrhagic radiation proctitis advancing to gradual cessation with hyperbaric oxygen. Dig Dis Sci, 1991; 36: 373.75
57. Aanderud L, Thorsen E, Brattebo G et al: Hyperbaric oxygen treatment for radiation reactions. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen, 2000; 120: 1020.22
58. Mathews R, Rajan N, Josefson L et al: Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for radiation induced hemorrhagic cystitis. J Urol, 1999; 161: 435.37
59. Lee H, Liu C, Chiao C, Lin S: Hyperbaric oxygen therapy in hemorrhagic radiation cystitis: a report of 20 cases. Undersea Hyperb Med, 1994; 21: 321.27
60. Bevers R, Bakker D, Kurth K: Hyperbaric oxygen treatment for haemorrhagic radiation cystitis. Lancet, 1995; 346: 803.5
61. Miyazato T, Yusa T, Onaga T et al: [Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for radiation-induced hemorrhagic cystitis.] Nippon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi, 1998; 89: 552.56
62. Sealy R: Hyperbaric oxygen in the radiation treatment of head and neck cancers. Radiother Oncol, 1991; 20(Suppl.1): 75.79
63. Berry G, Dixon B, Ward A: The Leeds results for radiotherapy in HBO for carcinoma of the head and neck. Clin Radiol, 1979; 30: 591.92
64. Neovius E, Lind M, Lind F: Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for wound complications after surgery in the irradiated head and neck: a review of the literature and a report of 15 consecutive patients. Head Neck, 1997; 19: 315.22
65. Haffty B, Hurley R, Peters L: Radiation therapy with hyperbaric oxygen at 4 atmospheres pressure in the management of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck: results of a randomized clinical trial. Cancer J Sci Am, 1999; 5: 341.47
66. Myers R, Marx R: Use of hyperbaric oxygen in postradiation head and neck surgery. NCI Monogr, 1990: 151.57
67. King G, Scheetz J, Jacob R, Martin J: Electrotherapy and hyperbaric oxygen: promising treatments for postradiation complications. J Prosthet Dent, 1989; 62: 331.34
68. Ferguson B, Hudson W, Farmer J Jr: Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for laryngeal radionecrosis. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol, 1987; 96(1 Pt 1): 1.6
69. Narozny W, Sicko Z, Przewozny T et al: Hyperbaric oxygen therapy as a method of treatment of laryngeal and pharyngeal Radionecrosis. Otolaryngol Pol, 2001; 55: 57.60
70. Guy J, Schatz N: Hyperbaric oxygen in the treatment of radiation-induced optic neuropathy. Ophthalmology, 1986; 93: 1083.88
71. Dowling S, Fischer J, Rockwell S: Fluosol and hyperbaric oxygen as an adjunct to radiation therapy in the treatment of malignant gliomas: a pilot study. Biomater Artif Cells Immobilization Biotechnol, 1992; 20: 903.5
72. Kohshi K, Imada H, Nomoto S et al: Successful treatment of radiation-induced brain necrosis by hyperbaric oxygen therapy. J Neurol Sci, 2003; 209: 115.17
73. Kohshi K, Kinoshita Y, Imada H et al: Effects of radiotherapy after hyperbaric oxygenation on malignant gliomas. Br J Cancer, 1999; 80: 236.41
74. Chuba P, Aronin P, Bhambhani K et al: Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for radiation-induced brain injury in children. Cancer, 1997; 80: 2005.12
75. Cornelissen J, Van J, Van Kuilenburg A, Flzinga L: Hyperbaric oxygen enhances the effects of meta-iodobenzylguanidine (MIBG) on energy metabolism and lipid peroxidation in the human neuroblastoma cell line SK-N-BE(2C). Anticancer Res, 1997; 17: 259.64
76. Williams J Jr, Clarke D, Dennis W et al: The treatment of pelvic soft tissue radiation necrosis with hyperbaric oxygen. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 1992; 167: 412.15; discussion 415.16
77. Dische S, Anderson P, Sealy R, Watson E: Carcinoma of the cervix. anaemia, radiotherapy and hyperbaric oxygen. Br J Radiol, 1983; 56: 251.55
78. Grigsby P: Modification of the Radiation Response of Patients With Carcinoma of the Uterine Cervix. Cancer Control, 1999; 6: 343.51
79. Watson E, Halnan KE, Dische S et al: Hyperbaric oxygen and radiotherapy: a Medical Research Council trial in carcinoma of the cervix. Br J Radiol, 1978; 5: 879.87
80. Sergeev S, Dar’ialova S, Lavnikova G: Hyperbaric oxygenation in the preoperative radiotherapy of soft tissue sarcomas. Vopr Onkol, 1977; 23: 17.27
81. Ashamalla H, Thom S, Goldwein J: Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for the treatment of radiation-induced sequelae in children. The University of Pennsylvania experience. Cancer, 1996; 77: 2407.12
82. Dougherty, T, Gomer C, Henderson B et al: Photodynamic therapy. J Natl Cancer Inst, 1998; 90, 889.905
83. Dalla Via L, Marciani Magno S: Photochemotherapy in the treatment of cancer. Curr Med Chem, 2001; 8, 1405.18
84. Sibata CV, Colussi C, Oleinick L, Kinsella T: Photodynamic therapy in oncology. Expert Opin Pharmacother, 2001; 2: 917.27
85. Chen Q, Huang Z, Chen H et al: Improvement of tumor response by manipulation of tumor oxygenation during photodynamic therapy. Photochem Photobiol, 2002; 76: 197.203
86. Dong GC, Hu S, Zhao G et al: Experimental study on cytotoxic effects of hyperbaric oxygen and photodynamic therapy on mouse transplanted tumor. Chin Med J, 1987; 100: 697.702
87. Jirsa Jr M, Pouckova P, Dolezal J et al: Hyperbaric oxygen and photo-dynamic therapy in tumor bearing nude mice. Eur J Cancer, 1991; 27, 109.12
88. Henderson B, Fingar V: Relationship of tumor hypoxia and response to photodynamic treatment in an experimental mouse tumor. Cancer Res, 1987; 47, 3110.14
89. Herzog M, Moser J, Wagner B et al: Effects and hypoxia in photodynamic therapy. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 1994; 23, 406.8
90. Fuchs J, Thiele J: The role of oxygen in cutaneous photodynamic therapy. Free Radic Biol Med 24, 835.47. Effects of fluence rate. Br J Cancer, 1998; 77: 1386.94
91. Maier A, Anegg U, Tomaselli F et al: Does hyperbaric oxygen enhance the effect of photodynamic therapy in patients with advanced esophageal carcinoma? A clinical pilot study. Endoscopy, 2000; 32: 42.48
92. Maier A, Anegg U, Fell B et al: Hyperbaric oxygen and photodynamic therapy in the treatment of advanced carcinoma of the cardia and the esophagus. Lasers Surg Med, 2000; 26: 308.15
93. Maier A, Anegg U, Fell B et al: Effect of photodynamic therapy in a multimodal approach for advanced carcinoma of the gastro-esophageal junction. Lasers Surg Med, 2000; 26: 461.66
94. Tomaselli, F, Maier A, Sankin O et al: Acute effects of combined photo-dynamic therapy and hyperbaric oxygenation in lung cancer . a clinical pilot study. Lasers Surg Med, 2000; 28: 399.403
95. Tomaselli F, Maier A, Pinter H et al: Photodynamic therapy enhanced by hyperbaric oxygen in acute endoluminal palliation of malignant bronchial stenosis (clinical pilot study in 40 patients). Eur J Cardiothorac Surg, 2001; 5: 549.54
96. Chen Q, Chen H, Murphy J et al: Oxygen effect of photodynamic therapy. Proc SIPE, 1997; 2972: 80.87
97. Huang Z, Chen Q, Shakil A et al: Hyperoxygenation enhances the tumor cell killing of photofrin-mediated photodynamic therapy. Photochem Photobiol, 2003; 78: 496.502
98. Chen Q, Huang Z, Chen H et al: Improvement of tumor response by manipulation of tumor oxygenation during photodynamic therapy. Photochem Photobiol, 2002; 76: 197.203
99. Tomaselli F, Maier A, Pinter H et al: Photodynamic therapy enhanced by hyperbaric oxygen in acute endoluminal palliation of malignant bronchial stenosis (clinical pilot study in 40 patients). Eur J Cardiothorac Surg, 2001; 19: 549.54
100. Maier A, Anegg U, Fell B et al: Hyperbaric oxygen and photodynamic therapy in the treatment of advanced carcinoma of the cardia and the esophagus. Lasers Surg Med, 2000; 26: 308.15
101. Tomaselli F, Maier A, Sankin O et al: Acute effects of combined photo-dynamic therapy and hyperbaric oxygenation in lung cancer . a clinical pilot study. Lasers Surg Med, 2001; 28: 399.403
102. Maier A, Tomaselli F, Anegg U et al: Combined photodynamic therapy and hyperbaric oxygenation in carcinoma of the esophagus and the esophago-gastric junction. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg, 2000; 18: 649.54; discussion 654
103. Maier A, Anegg U, Tomaselli F et al: Does hyperbaric oxygen enhance the effect of photodynamic therapy in patients with advanced esophageal carcinoma? A clinical pilot study. Endoscopy, 2000; 32: 42.48